Posted on 19-Jul-2020

The Chimney Guy

The Chimney Guy calling from Soot Central

Not very often I feel like ranting but so far this week I have had to deal with very upset and tearful customers after I declared their stoves as being dangerous.
Both had recently moved to their new homes, both were excited at having stoves to light and enjoy and both mentioned the stoves helped sway their decision to purchase the house. Fortunately both decided to have their chimneys and stoves swept and cleaned before they lit their first fires.
When I inspected the stoves both failed current regulations and were unsafe to use.
Neither of the customers had a current Chimney Sweeping Certificate from the previous owners to indicate a safe working stove.

A Sweeping job I had undertaken just before Christmas for someone about to exchange contracts needed a Sweeping Certificate from an Accredited Chimney Sweep to confirm the stove and open fire were safe and working.

So a plea to folk looking to buy their dream home with stoves and open fires.
Please, please insist on having a current Chimney Sweeping Certificate from an Accredited or Approved Chimney Sweep to prove they are safe and working.
Check and confirm with the Estate agent or Solicitor to make this a mandatory requirement of sale before contracts are exchanged.

I don`t like giving bad news, especially when it can so easily be avoided. Advice always available, still taking bookings for mid August onward.
Get quote
Message sent. We'll get back to you soon.